* With limited exceptions, enforcement, dispute and litigation work is exclusively undertaken in Alberta.
LEASE NEGOTIATION - THE RIGHT RESULTS:
A Simple Truth
Lease negotiations are never a simple task, and if done incorrectly or ineffectively, can result in unnecessarily accepting higher financial costs and greater legal responsibilities.
There is a fundamental paradox that resides at the core of successful negotiations: generating value and claiming value. You generate value for the other side by presenting the benefits that satisfy their financial demands, while placating their concerns. Meanwhile, it is necessary that you concurrently claim sufficient value in the transaction, which is only possible by not giving too much away. This is can be a very delicate balancing act, which can easily be tipped against you with inadequate legal counsel.
Lawyer’s Role to Negotiations
Correctly utilizing the right lawyer early in the negotiation process can have significant benefits to obtaining a more favorable result, including:
- focusing on the real objectives
- eliminating distractions and insignificant matters
- defusing emotion (emphasis on business practicalities)
- precluding hidden costs and obligations
- experience – an invaluable resource
- research and adaptation of appropriate legal precedents
- role assumption: devil’s advocate; good cop - bad cop
- making it workable (some strategies simply don’t work)
- maintaining legal compliance
For knowledgeable and experienced legal representation in negotiating, reviewing and drafting lease agreements, and protecting your business’ legal rights thereunder, contact lease lawyer Christopher R. Neufeld.
Lease Lawyer Christopher R. Neufeld is admitted to practice law in both Alberta and Ontario (Canada) and New York (U.S.A.), representing commercial landlords / lessors, tenants / lessees, developers / owners / investors. The law firm of Neufeld Legal Professional Corporation has offices in Calgary, Toronto and Burlington, while working with key clients in Manhattan, thus enabling us to serve Calgary, southern Alberta, downtown Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Brampton, Milton, Guelph and Kitchener Waterloo, together with New York City. For more on contract law look to www.lawyercontract.ca. COPYRIGHT 2008-16.